Wednesday 16 February 2011

Help With Modeling The Character/Advice

I started modeling the character in Maya and began by blocking the main elements of the torso region. I pad careful attention to the lower abdominal region as well as the pectoral muscles that would really help define the character. I then extruded some faces to create the upper arms and legs. I must admit that I have not much knowledge in character modeling and I was using many reference images to help me create the right topology, which would help when rigging the character. Once I had blocked in the main elements of the torso I decided to consult Clym Smith, a fellow student who understands topology and rigging. Rather than model the entire character and hope for the best I decided I needed a more experienced opinion to put me on the right path. I sent the base mesh to Clym as an OBJ and he imported it into zbrush to check the topology and edge flow. He mentioned that the deltoid muscle region needed a bit of work to get realistic arm movement when rigging. However, he did mention that the crease points where the legs meat the torso was good. While on skype we created a chat channel and shared screens. By doing this he could show me how to add detail to the base mesh in Zbrush in real time. Using my base mesh he quickly pulled out muscle and bone structures to fill out the box model after sub dividing it.

Clym mentioned that by using a 5 edged star you can redirect edge flow to create certain shapes and forms. This was extremely helpful information as I could use this method on the characters head where polygons flow in sometimes three directions instead of two. Clym gave me a better understanding of how the muscle structure works and how to translate this into a three dimensional model. I will use the techniques to improve on the model so it can be rigged efficiently in the future. The task of modeling the character as well as everything that comes with it is a daunting task, but I must take one step at a time and concentrate on getting the character modeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment