Wednesday 2 February 2011

Interior Composite and suggestions

Over the Christmas break I took it upon myself to add some detail to the interior room by adding some more furnishings and props to help give some scale as well as some believability. After some discussions with my parents as well a my brother we agreed that if the room remained the way it was it would appear too bland and empty. The room itself required some detail to break up the lines in the room. To do this I added some wires and piping on two of the walls as well as a chest of drawers which filled the empty space on the right side of the room. It is on this chest of drawers that the vinyl player will rest along with his phone and various belongings.

When discussing the room with my father he suggested that I put in some detail like some final demand letters that would help the story and suggest that he is overdrawn waiting for the next hit. We get the idea that he is struggling to survive as he works for the mob. Adding a phone as well as a picture of him as a boxer would suggest that he had a past. By adding these things Chris and I could suggest a large amount of character while not having to suggest too much through animation.

This is a composite of the room as it stands now. I used Maya to render and light the scene. I then imported the image into Photoshop and added a certain amount of atmosphere and mood by changing the colour balance as well as the brightness and contrast. I also added some smoke to suggest that the character who uses the space is a heavy smoker. By adding a film grain I was able to achieve a certain film quality and roughness to the scene which gave the room some randomness and character. By creating this composite I was able to see what the final picture may look like with a small amount of post production. I was overwhelmed with the result as the space appeared to have a certain elemnt of character and the contrast between the light and dark areas was really interesting and moody. I presented this composite to Mike as well as Dan Dali who all had positive things to say about the appearance of the room and the way in which it would impact the story. Dan Dali highlighted the fact that the room now had a certain element of character with the contrast between the warm red colour of the walls and the cold blue of the light outside which mimicked the emotional struggle of the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment