Friday 5 November 2010

The Pitch: Patience

I chose to work on this project as it had been well thought through. My brother and I discussed the story and the main character many times over the Summer break. The story is primarily about the emotional struggle felt by the main character who ultimately has to decide whether or not to go through with his latest contract. For me this story was the most mature out of the many pitches that were presented during the beginning of term. The story is simple yet character driven and has huge potential for those who want to show off their conceptual talent as well as their modeling skills.

I think that it is important to mention that my brother and I wish to work in the film or gaming industry. The work we want to produce during the last three terms should reflect our style and technical know how which will render us more employable to these industries. The piece itself will be stylized, however the techniques used to create the environments lighting and objects will prove useful for the future. Although I want to produce a coherent film by the end of the year, the skills needed to make the film a reality will be hugely beneficial in terms of work placement. This project is the start of my career so I believe that it has to be tangible, relevant to the work you will be doing.

The story itself borrows heavily from the classic Film noir genre. Looking at the images Christopher had designed I immediately related to the character as well as the environment.
The room itself was small and dark, lit from only a ceiling lamp. Some background light can be seen through the venetian blinds. The use of light immediately evokes a mood as well as a foreboding atmosphere.

Another thing that was intriguing was the use of props within the story. They all had meaning.
Frank has many possessions that tell you about his character and augment the story as a whole. I was also intrigued by the main character in the story. His physical qualities are intimidating, however it it just a facade that hides the characters insecurities and moral struggles. He is not your classic hit man as he is roughly middle aged and out of shape due to his solitary lifestyle.
The character has vices, but will he overcome them or allow them to consume him. This was a very mature take on the hit man genre, rather like In Brudge.

I also chose to work on the story as it was probably the only pitches to have been thought out in great detail. For example Chris has thought about the plan of the room, where the light is coming from, where the character will be, the props within that room, as well as the music for the piece. Chris also developed a script for the project. This is imperative for all kinds of film making whether it be feature or short films. Because Chris had a script I could relate to the character first hand as the story unfolded. Chris had obviously gone into detail and this reassured me. The story is somewhat complicated, however with the script present, everyone working on the project knows what he or she is doing. The script allowed for a storyboard to be done and dictated every aspect in the story from character to props. From a professional standpoint this was very exciting as I knew everything that needed to be in the story had been incorporated.

I knew that in the unlikely event that something went wrong in the production phase things could be resolved quickly. If anything needed adjusting we could refer to the script which is one of the reasons I wanted to work on this piece.

Some of the tutors had some issues with the idea. I think this was because they thought the idea would be realistic. I think a few people also thought that the complex story wouldnt be able to be told in roughly three minutes.

Some of the tutors took convincing so we had to change the idea to suit some of the targets set by the brief. We agreed that in order to continue the story itself needed to be somewhat stylized. The script is also open for a few minor changes, however I think the story is strong and the objects within it are relatively easy to model. Looking at all the preliminary work that went into the story as well as the concepts and storyboards my brother and I are confident that most of the objects can be made before christmas. The only issue really is the main character himself as he needs to be modeled, rigged and animated accordingly.



No comments:

Post a Comment