Sunday 15 May 2011

Character Renders

The images below show what the main character in the film will look like. As yet I have managed to complete the texturing for the characters skin as well as his vest and trousers. looking at the render I was very happy with the results particularly when I had never attempted character texturing before. I am very grateful to Farhan Younas who was the artist responsible for good quality UV mapping. I am delighted with the results and Chris seems to be very happy with the renders as well. I particularly like the way in which the texture reacts to certain light levels. I applied a bump map which raised certain areas like moles and wrinkles, while other areas like his stubble appeared as though they had been recessed. The overall effect was a very realistic skin texture. However, the lighting in the scenes should amplify his facial features and bring out the areas of interest. By adding a blinn and altering the the settings a little I was able to create a realistic skin material which would create a specular effect. I had to turn off reflections completely as the skin would appear as though it were a shiny, reflective metal which was definitely not the look I was going for.

There was a bit of trial and error in certain areas, that is to say I had to keep the colour tones relatively the same where seems appeared. The model had been UV'd in sections to break the model down and make the texturing process somewhat easier. However this technique would result in seems occurring where two surfaces had been separated. In these areas it was important to use the right colour tones so that the seems themselves would not be easily visible.

I know have to concentrate my efforts on completing the clothes as well as the hair. The rig itself has not been completed but I wanted to complete the textures in time so that we could begin animation straight away when the rig had been done. This would save huge amounts of time rather than waiting for next phase in the character pipeline.




No comments:

Post a Comment