Wednesday 18 May 2011

UV for the hair object

























The image above represents the UV layout for the object that would represent Frank's hair. When looking at this layout I knew I was going to have problem when trying to texture this. The object here was not UV'd properly. Maya will create its own default mapping and literally jumble up the uvs to create this shape. In order to texture the object I needed the uv's to be laid out flat in a manner with which I could distinguish the the Uv's that would make up the 3d model.

Initially when I tried texturing the object using this UV layout I had no idea which squares represented the front or back of the model. I tried creating template tests which would help me map out the image, but it was almost impossible and the textures appeared to be stretched and deformed. The images below show the test templates which I used, however, they did not help much. I was hoping to use the patterns to make sense of the image but to no avail.








































My only option now was to ask for the assistance of a UV artist to flatten the image in a way that I could understand which would make the texturing of this object far easier. Farhan Younas agreed to help and solved the issue fairly quickly. With the object now properly UV'd I could now start work on the hair. The image below shows what the hair should look like when it is properly UV'd.























With the image properly laid out I could now texture the image accordingly in a less time consuming manner which would also produce better quality results. Although I am not familiar with the automatic mapping process at the moment, I intend to learn this technique in the very near future. By acquiring skills like these I hope to achieve better quality work for eventual employers. I could learn these techniques now but the process would take some time to learn which would slow down the production of the film. We thought it was best to acquire the assistance of a competent artist to help us in this area s that we could continue film production as the deadline is fast approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment