Saturday 28 May 2011

The Envelope Scene

Below are some images which show the light setup I used for this scene. Primarily I used some are lights to create a 3 point lighting system that would illuminate the shot in an appealing way. There was a bit of trial and error when setting up the lights as I wanted the lamp stand to be partially illuminated. In order to do this I needed to create an area light near the base of the stand to achieve a subtle but appealing result. This can be seen in the latest render for a still shot in Chris's film. When setting up the scene ready for rendering I adjusted certain objects like the phone and table to make them more realistic within the frame. To do this I would simply adjust the verts of the object to create irregularities which softens the image and makes it more believable. I also had to adjust the UV's for the chest of drawers as well as the wall. This was because this scene was originally intended for an long shot. However, by increasing the size of the Uv's I was able to create the level of detail that was necessary for the shot. Chris and I rendered the Fg colour pass as well as the occlusion on my laptop. Once this was done I gave the images to Chris to composite in Photoshop.

I enjoyed creating this scene and lighting it accordingly, however I must say that Chris's storyboards explained everything perfectly and I was able to create a realistic lighting system based on his drawings. I knew exactly where to put the lights. There was a little trial and error adjusting the intensity of the light as well as their decay rate, but it was mostly straight forward. I used the techniques and skills from previous renders to aid me when lighting the scene. I now feel confident when lighting a particular scene to describe visually the emotional content of a scene.

Chris did an amazing job on the composite and I was very happy with the final result. We also had comments from other students saying that it looked real and was more like a photograph. This was always our intention, so I think we did something right.







No comments:

Post a Comment