Sunday 15 May 2011

Texturing the Character

Below are screenshots from the UV texture editor I used within maya to create the material that would create the characters skin. In the first image you can see the UV wireframe that I use to distinguish the specific areas of the character. This is useful when trying to apply different colour tones for different facial features like the eye sockets and lips. The UV layout represents the 2d flattened image of a 3d object in maya. This type of UV mapping is necessary when creating the texture for the character especially the face where different and specific skin tones are required to make a realistic looking head.

The second image was the first completed Uv map layout. However, when I applied the texture I noticed that a white stripe appeared on the upper chest area which was not desirable at all. Initially I thought that the character had not been UV'd properly. However, when I painted all the areas in the texture editor as seen in the third image problem had been rectified. I thought that you would not need to paint the areas outside the uv's. However, I think that a little stretching occurs when you apply the texture. In future I will paint the entire uv snapshot to prevent the lines from appearing.

When creating the texture I wanted to create a certain amount of realism as well as some skin tone variation. I also used the standard brush to create some moles and irregularities to prevent any kind of symmetry that would loose the sense of realism. When I completed the texture I then applied a sharpen filter that would define the different colour values and stiples that would form the stubble. I then used the texture to create the bump map which would bring out the moles and recesses to create a realistic unevenness to the facial features. Now it was time to apply the textures to the object.






No comments:

Post a Comment